Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Keepin' It Real: Battle Mats - Environments

I've been asked a few times, "What Battle Mat (background) do you use?"  Well, to tell the truth, I normally use a fabric sheet that I found on eBay for $13/yard.  Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures rules require the Battle Mat be a minimum of 3 ft. X 3 ft., so buying just one yard is legal.  However, just in case something were to happen with it (ie. rip, tear, stains, etc.), I ended up buying two yards.

Since most of my battles have been in outer space, the Battle Mat I have been using has been sufficient.  However, now I need to start looking into other environments, to keep things interesting.

Sometimes even using a single color table cloth can enhance the game, just like this pink/orange-ish sheet that was used to simulate a battle at Bespin.
 


I have found that there are quite a few different Battle Mats available from different sources.  Most of them I have found were laser printed onto plastic vinyl.  There are plenty of ready made ones available at Deep-Cut Studio, however they are a little pricey and since they are located in Lithuania, it might take a little while to get to you.

If there is a specific Battle Mat you're looking for, but just can't seem to find it... you can always custom print one out.  Banners-On-The-Cheap can print one out for you at a reasonable price.  All you need to do is upload a picture in their designer program and it will show you a preview of what you would like.  You can easily make one for less than $20!

No comments:

Post a Comment